9.02.2007

Phase Change

Well, here I am at Michigan State University. Starting a Ph.D. program in Exercise Physiology with an emphasis in pediatric exercise physiology research and university teaching. I have thought about keeping a blog for sometime, but was never sure how much I would keep up with it or even if I wanted to be considered a blogger. Paul Murphy suggested the title of this blog and I just couldn't resist... to great of an idea to pass up. Anyway, his idea is what put me over the edge tonight to start to blog. I dont know how often I will do this, but we will see how it goes. At least some of my family and friends can keep up with me a little over here. I will do what I can.

The first week of classes has gone well. I am excited about what I will be learning. There is a lot of reading to be done and instead of reading I am writing down my thoughts on a web page... oh well. I feel that there will be less information being taught to me and more information for me to sift through and discover for myself. I enjoy being taught and I usually fall asleep when trying to read something so I am not too thrilled about it at this point, but we will see how it goes. I have met some great people who are really willing to help me. My advisor, Karin Pfieffer, is very driven and focused and is really working hard for me. I really dont want to disappoint her. She keeps telling me to take initiative and get involved... but there is nothing to get involved with yet. Very soon things are going to get crazy around here and there will be plenty of opportunity. A 4th year doctoral student, Jeremy, has seemingly taken me under his wing (I am supposed to take his place as the lab tech for next year). MSU is really taking care of me and it feels good.

The Church that I have been going to and I would say am apart of is open and supportive. I feel so at home there, it is a great feeling. They are a small church, but a close knit group... I am excited about it.

And, of course, I miss Heather like crazy. We have been able to talk most every day and that has been good. I think we are adjusting to the change... but not really enjoying being apart.

More to come. It's past my bed time and I still need to figure this thing out.

Thanks Paul.

Be Strong and Courageous

5 comments:

Luke Dockery said...

I like the blog title; sounds clever.

Nathan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nathan said...

We missed you this weekend dove hunting. Don't worry, we had a good time anyway.

BJ and I limited out in 2 hours. It took Dad a little more than that. You know how the gallbladder can effect your shooting.

Benson says whats up. He was actually asking about you this weekend. I've never heard a 3 month old talk until yesterday.

Justin and Heather Bland said...

Wish I could have been there. Glad that you limited out, man thats a great feeling.

Well say hey to Benson for me... he's a good kid.

Anonymous said...

Justin, I really like reading your posts! Great insights. I love your motto: "you don't sing to get to the end of the song."
Just talked to BJ. He's on his way there.