I like to report to people that I am in 20th grade for several reasons. First, because to me it has the feeling of elementary or middle school ( I think because after that you are a Freshman, Sophomore, etc…). Second, because it is slightly depressing that I have been in school for 20 years, that’s two decades… I am 25. So I have really only experienced 5 years of freedom and for the most part I have NO IDEA what I did for those first five years and that is slightly discouraging. Third, because I think its hilarious and its really ok if I am the only one that thinks its slightly funny.
Ok so after 20years of being in school I have become accustom to sitting in a desk and listening to someone of much higher education teach me about whatever topic of the subject at hand. As I have said in a previous post, I have hated school for a long time (up until college), but in college I started learning about some really cool stuff in History, Biology, Chemistry, Kinesiology, and a few other eclectic courses… but I have learned almost nothing useful in the education department… if that isn’t irony then the concept of irony doesn’t actually exist (side note: there is a phrase forever attached to the education building entrance at Harding University: “Come now let us reason together” – I laughed every time I went in there). I can think of several people that would be completely offended at that, but they don’t read my blog (to my knowledge). Don’t get me wrong, there are amazing people that I respect in that department and many students that will be incredible teachers have come out of there, but ask any of them if the preparation they received is enough (oh yeah, I got a 4.0 in my masters in science and education… without studying at all… that should NEVER happen). Anyway, the concept of learning has stayed the same throughout my college career and I actually enjoy sitting and listening to people that were passionate about the subject they taught and integrated our Christian race (it isn’t so much a walk as it is a run) into the course where appropriate. In undergrad, my capstone class was Exercise Physiology I&II taught by Ken Turley. I was stoked and absolutely loved the class so I knew I wanted to go on and learn more about what happens to the body during exercise (and because you cant do anything with a Bachelors in Exercise Science), so I went on to get my masters under Ken Turley and was really excited about the graduate course in Exercise Physiology (Advanced Ex Phys). Sadly though the class didn’t have the background that I did and Turley had to back off of the more heavy material in the class and it became basically an undergraduate course. I was disappointed, but it gave me a great opportunity to teach the students (which really helped me learn the material better).
So here I am in 20th grade taking a class called Metabolism in Exercise and I was sooo excited about it coming into school… truth be told I was so nervous I was sick to my stomach. I wasn’t even sure if I was going to be able to pass the classes. But I love exercise physiology and really wanted (and still want) to learn. The class meets once a week for 3hrs. Well, come to find out that the professor has decided to lecture or “tutorial” for only 15-40min of class depending on the topic. The other time in class is spent discussing articles that we read and doing lab stuff. We have a TON of stuff to read. He isn’t as concerned with teaching the material as he is concerned with us learning the material on our own and applying that to the discussion in class. I respect that, but a problem is that we are using an UNDERGRADUATE text to read from (McArdle Katch and Katch 6th ed. for those that know). I was disappointed to say the least and concerned. I am not concerned about the lack depth of the other classes that are part of my program, just the opposite…I am afraid I am not getting what I need in this class to stay afloat in those classes that will come later on. I was expecting to be taught more and the thought that I am nearly completely responsible for my education in this class is slightly concerning. Anyway, it seems once again I am teased with the prospect of an amazing ex phys class only to realize it wont go to the depth that I desire… oh well there is always next semester. And who knows, I have only been here for a month, it might get more in depth (it will be good for the review that’s for sure). The experience that I will receive here along with the education is/will be priceless and there will be classes that I take in the future that will challenge me in the ways that I want so I am thrilled about that. I am looking forward to the courses that are coming up: “Cardiorespiratory Responses to Exercise”, “Neuromuscular Responses to Exercise”, and “Methods of Physiological Evaluation and Exercise Prescription” are the main ones I am looking forward to. Its going to be good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment