So here is the mascot of Michigan State University. My knee jerk reaction to this statue was, “wow, that’s cool.” But at a closer look with some background info, I become more frustrated at it. We are the Michigan State SPARTANS. Now for a lot of us Spartans were crazy cool before the movie 300, but since then even more of us are in awe of that society and the warriors that lead them. Its a great concept for sure and an excellent idea for a mascot. Here are the issues. The Spartan Warrior that is immortalized before you, representing the history altering Greek heritage, carries a name: Sparty. Sparty? How embarrassing. I almost want to turn away as I walk past him. Its sort of like someone doing something really embarrassing on stage and you just sink down in your seat and physically cringe because you feel so bad for that person. That’s bad enough, but it goes on. This “warrior” has no armor; he has a helmet and a robe… but no armor. I have heard that a Spartan warrior comes home with their shield… or on it. “Sparty” also doesn’t have a spear. How the heck is he supposed to fight? And besides all of that he looks like he is wearing at BEST “whity tighties.” Oh, in contrast to what some people have confronted me about: He is NOT grabbing himself… just needed to straighten that out. So pretty much we are looking at a representation of the most dishonorable Spartan that one could possibly conceive, great. As they say here: Sparty On! … I don’t even know what that means.
9.06.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



10 comments:
I have nothing against Spartans or Michigan State. In fact, I'm in favor of them. However, in that picture the mascot looks like one of those Gays.
I dunno. Judging from his abdominal and pectoral development, I'm thinking that if the statue were to come alive, and you were to call him Sparty to his face, that he would shrug, rip out your spine, and then just use it as his spear.
Thanks for the info on Sparty. How often do you have to pass that statue?
Nate,
Just to let you know: there is no discrimination due to religion, race, gender (including trans-gender... a person who is phsyicaly one gender, but feels like they are the other gender inside), or sexual orientation here. Thanks MSU student orientation!
Luke,
You're probably right... I am just dissapointed at those that are responsible for this statue.
Mom,
I walk by Sparty twice a day. I park in between him and the office
correction, Sparty is between where I park and the office.
Harding's mascot has a pretty swell name, too. Isn't it "Buff the Bison"?
I find it amusing that "Spartan" would have been a neutral term at best before 300 came out. Now, the mere mention causes facial hair growth.
Hey Justin!
Am just now discovering your blog. I started one summer before last and let some time elapse between postings . . forgot my password! Oh well, I enjoy reading other bloggers and now I have yours to add to my list. Guess who is now in CC? Baby David! The CC coach came to David's soccer class last Wednesday with the intent of recruiting more runners. Now he has 3 more and they ran their first JV race yesterday in Plainview. David finished the course and didn't throw up. From my vantage point, he finished in the upper 2/3's of the pack. There were 1600 area runners yesterday from schools all over the panhandle. It's interesting that Canyon will not run against Hereford. Both are state CC champs in their class (4A and 3A) You know the routine: JV girls small school then JV girls Large school; JV boys small school, JV boys Large school, etc so it seems like it takes forever to run a race. Now, the area schools are inviting the 8th grade runners to come and they race last. Due to the late time of the 8th grade start, the officials let the boys and girls run . . . all 400 of them!!!! Thought you might want to know that your legacy of running continues. :-) I'm keeping all of David's maps and numbers. Now to get him some better running shoes . . any suggestions? Julie used her orange track shoes all 4 years. Someday I'm going to make a shadow box and include those shoes.
Glad to hear of your life in Michigan with or without the statue. Around this part of the country it is horses that are everywhere! and now they have ginormous pink cancer awareness ribbons around their necks.
Gotta scoot and get to bed so that I can get up and get David off to a running start for his day. They are doing 10 miles in the morning. The coach will have his truck and I'm going to see if David feels like his body can't make it, he can ride awhile. Got some bananas for him also. What other foods would be good for him to have before running?
love you bunches! Oh, send me your address so that some chocolate chip cookies can get to you!
blessings,
Aunt Becky
Justin,
I found your blog through Benson's. I look forward to reading about your Michigan/Spartan experience! Best of luck to you...and to you and Heather (I hear she is precious!).
I'll be praying for you and the new chapter in your life!
Becca (Jenn's sister-in-law)
Hey Justin Bland...I've missed you. Haven't done handstands in a long time.
But I do agree with you - Sparty's clothing is a little ambiguous.
Aunt Becky,
I would love to talk running with you folks. email would be better for me, or I could call. my email is justinrbland@gmail.com. Once I get yours I can fill you in on as much as you would like... if I dont know the answer i can find out.
Veronica,
Its been a while! thanks for dropping by!
Post a Comment