I have struggled literally for months about what to do with this blog. I believe I have thought about this blog at least once a week since March probably. I obviously have not had any consistency in writing whatsoever and the future does not look very promising either. I think for me the best case scenario would be to write here once ever few weeks to update you on whats going on in my life… and maybe I will try that again… but the storm of a newly married 2nd year doctoral student is about to hit and again this blog will take a serious back seat.
So where am I now? Well, I was married to the beautiful and wonderful Heather Hutson on May 17th, 2008. We were married at Camp Tahkodah on a bluff (called Indian slides, except there is not much sliding… its pretty much a 60ft drop) by my dad. It was perfect. We had a phenomenal time that day… everything was great. We loved being around friends and family.
We went to Estes Park, CO for our honeymoon. It was absolutely fantastic. We really enjoyed being able to hike in Rocky Mountain National Park. On the last day Heather decided that she wanted to see some water falls that were just a few miles up a trail, so we outfitted ourselves with water and granola bars and a few extra layers because we didn’t know what the weather was going to be like. Through a series of events (deciding to go to my grandparents house and packing) we didn’t get started till about 2pm (at an altitude of about 8000’). We hiked about 3miles and got to the falls and took some pictures and then decided we wanted to check out the other falls a mile up or so. At about 9000’ there started to be snow on the trail and at about 9300’ there was 3’ of snow covering the trail. We only knew it was a trail because of the footprints from others who were there before us. The trail to the waterfall was covered with snow so we missed it, but we continued hiking to the lake at the top of the trail (Fern Lake). Unfortunately, by this time it was getting to be evening and we were not at the end of the trail yet. We decided that we needed to turn around about 6pm because we thought that it would not be great if we were on the trail after dark. We made it to Fern Lake at 5:58pm and took a few pictures then turned around and put the hammer down to get off the trail before dark. You need to know something about Heather… she doesn’t like to walk fast, she likes to take her time. She is physically fit, but her body just doesn’t move fast when walking, I would estimate her average walking speed is around 1.5mph… and going up and down stairs is even slower (she really doesn’t like stairs)! We needed to average 3mph for 4.5miles over rocky and uneven terrain at an altitude of 9500’ after already being on the trail for 4 hours and climbing 1500 vertical feet in order to make it back to the car before it was too dark to see (of course we didn’t bring flashlights). Heather was a beast! Without a word of complaint she threw down… sometimes having to jog to make good time! We averaged 3mph and made it back just when it was getting tough to see. I was so proud of Heather. We hiked just over 9miles that afternoon.
I understand that to some of you this is no big deal and to my younger brother this was a light day at best, but we were ill-equipped using running shoes as our protection from the snow and rocks and packed poorly in school backpacks. And not entirely physically prepared (having done zero hiking and nearly zero altitude acclimation) before our honeymoon. In addition we only thought we were going to go to the waterfall and back originally. So with this context, we were very proud at how we performed.
We are living in Perry, MI now in between Flint where Heather will be going to school and East Lansing where I am going to school. My research starts as soon as I can get participants and I will be teaching Anatomy the first of July. Heather is taking a microbiology course in Lansing to finish up her pre-requisites for PT school. She starts PT school at the end of August. It will be an interesting time for us. I know that we will grow through this storm, but I cant say that I am looking forward to it. I just need to have a better attitude about it.
Anyway, I have avoided work long enough and should get back to it. I will try to update you again sometime in the next month or so.



4 comments:
Bland!!!!!!!!!
All that sounds awesome. I am glad things at the wedding and honeymoon went well. Sorry I couldn´t make it to the wedding. I hope the research and schooling goes well. I will definitely be praying.
What are you researching, by the way?
Man, I still check your blog whenever I'm out checking blogs. Several times I asked myself why I still checked your blog because I knew how busy you were. I guess it was just blind faith that kept me going. Anyway, I've been rewarded with a great post and I will continue to check your blog everytime I'm blog checking until you update it again at Christmas. Glad you and Heather are doing well. I know you are headed for a rocky path in your journey through life, but I have no doubt there is a beautiful lake on the other side of it for your viewing pleasure.
Justin, It's interesting. I do the same thing Nathan does. I check your blog every once in a while. I was eating lunch and thought I'd check it out and low and behold I discover a new entry!!
Great! I hadn't heard about your hike to the falls! A job well done.
I hope your class goes well as you begin this next week. We'll probably touch base with you when we arrive in CO next week. Love you, Dad
Justin and Heather,
I love this blog thing and how we can take a peek at each other's lives and see what's going on with them. I loved what you wrote about your adventures in Colorado. Kinda scarey now that I've read it! Such is life . . .challenging and worth the risk to see the surprises at the top.
Not much news from TX . . . just trying to keep life as normal as we can. I sure miss my kiddos -- David is in Denver this week working with homeless teens through the Dry Bones ministry there. Julie and her trek group from Longview, TX stopped here for an early spaghetti supper. She will get to spend a coupld of days when they come back through next weekend. Andee and Cliff are blissful in Dallas. Barry is working hard in OKC. He now has 2 trucks with his car washing business. I have enough cookie orders to keep me busy and have a new blog. Check it out. :-)
love you!
Aunt Becky
Post a Comment